Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

What's In A Season???

Good afternoon, everyone!  :)
SO....the weather has been going absolutely CRAZY out here lately!  First, we had fantastic spring-like weather for a few weeks & now it is cold...more like winter again.  Still, it is beautiful outside and the sun is shining.  I love to soak up the beauty of each day, regardless of whatever kind of weather it ends up being. 
I just want to take a moment to talk about my love for each of the four seasons we have.....spring, fall, winter & summer.  There is something so special about each one.....and anytime I take a moment to think about WHY I love them, I smile.  Inside each season is a gift of warmth, comfort & something magical to enjoy.
Let's start with my favorite season.  FALL.  Literally EVERYTHING about fall is magical to me.  I love the cozy feeling of wearing hooded sweatshirts or flannel button-ups every day.  They are good enough to keep you warm, yet light enough to where you can still feel that amazing fall air on your skin.  The fall season SMELLS amazing.  Inside my house during the fall, I'm always baking things that smell like apple-cinnamon and pumpkin spice.  I usually have the windows atleast cracked to where I get a little smell of that fall breeze coming in the window.  It makes me happy.  :)  Then outside, when I think of fall, I think of bonfires & campfires.....I think of the smell of wood....I think of the smell of amazing, cool, crisp air....I think of the sound of football games....I think of the smell of the tractor as my hubby does work on it.....I think of the feel of the breeze blowing through my hair as I drive out in the country....I think of hay rides....I think of pumpkin patches....I think of corn mazes....I think of all the cute little kids trick-or-treating....I think of homemade cinnamon apple cider....I think of homemade chili simmering all day.....I think of snuggling under a cozy blanket during the cool nights in the back of an old truck underneath the stars.  I think of HUNTING & hiking.  I think of the sound and smell of crunchy leaves.  I think of the smell of burning leaves.
My next favorite season.  SPRING.  When I think of spring, I think of one word.  LIFE.  Life comes into everything and everything starts fresh and new.  Everything has been hibernating all winter & so I wait with great anticipation to see and smell everything again that spring brings.  My favorite smell of spring is SOIL.  I have come to really like planting trees and flowers and gardens.....so spring is the time for all of that!  The first time my hands get to dig in the soil each year is one of my favorite times.  Mmmmm.  Spring rain is also one of my favorite things.  Rain gives everything a huge drink to be able to grow.  It's pretty awesome!  And rain is just so soothing!!!!  And geesh, it smells so good!!!!  If it ever rains in the spring, I always, always, always open the windows so that the smell overtakes the house......and then this momma is a happy, happy, happy momma!!!!!  :)  I love watching trees bud in the spring.  It's a pretty cool process.  I love watching the things I plant grow....TRUE MAGIC!!!  It still stuns me every year that I can plant things and then they grow, with just a little bit of lovin'!  :)  I relate certain things to spring, like my favorite mini Brach's jelly beans & Whoppers Robin Eggs.  I can see something simple in a gas station like a peanut butter cup shaped like an Easter duck or an Easter egg & it totally makes me smile.  Super cute. 
Next.  SUMMER.  The season of being and feeling carefree & light!!!  This is the best time of year for my kids, because we can pretty much be outside ALL the time.....day and night.  Summer nights smell amazing.....and it stays light outside till quite late.  I think of lightning bugs (it's a midwest thing!)....I think of camping & camp fires....I think of making smores and hot dogs....I think of swimming in the lake....I think of getting dirty everyday and LOVING it....I think of taking drives up into the mountains to get pictures of glorious, sunny days.  I think of hiking.  I think of popsicles.  I think of county fairs.  I think of rodeos.  I think of the circus.  I think of hot days and perfect, beautiful nights.  I think of being barefoot in lush, green grass.  I think of wearing flip-flops.  I think of exercising OUTSIDE every day.  I think of perfect corn on the cob and beautiful, tasty watermelon.  I think of yielding the results of our gardening from the spring.  I think of bow hunting for elk.  I think of the joy on my kids faces when I watch them play outside in the gorgeous weather.  I think of local parks and wedding venues.  I think of how beautiful the super early mornings are....when the rest of the world seems to be sleeping.
Last.  WINTER.  The season where the world seems to go to sleep for awhile.  My favorite time in the winter is when I drive up into the tops of the mountains WHILE it is snowing.  It is so perfect.  So magical.  So beautiful.  So dreamy.  When you're up there by yourself, I swear you can actually HEAR the gentle snow falling and kissing the earth as it hits the ground.  You can look into the trees and see nothing but a calmness.  Everything is dark, yet still light.  Everything stands still.   When I think of my favorite things during the winter season, I would say they are these things: sledding with my kids, drinking super hot cocoa after coming in from shoveling, making snow angels, taking walks in the snow, cozying up on the couch under big blankets with the big picture window curtains open so that I can watch the snow fall, listening to old Christmas music and country Christmas music, baking sugar cookies and making homemade caramels, the smell of winter air, the look of ice crystals hanging from the house, Christmas lights, Holiday music playing everywhere (sorry, yes, I'm one of those who really enjoys it!!), family movies playing on tv all the time, the smell of gingerbread, a beautiful hot shower after outside evening chores are done, building snowmen and Christmas caroling.
There is SO much more I could say about EVERY season, but I'm limited on time & this is a start.  I just love the smell of every season and the feel the each season brings.  Each season also has the magic ability and power of making me super reminiscent of certain times and things.  LOVE THAT, because in most cases, it's usually a great memory.
Anyhow, OPEN YOUR EYES and take notice of all the beauty around us.  It doesn't matter how bad your day is.  No matter what, we can ALWAYS find beauty if we are open to finding it and seeing it.  You don't even need to look that hard or look that far.   Seasons are POWERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment